- We offer both children's and adult classes beginning from the ages of four years old upwards. Pacific Coast Academy is an envoironment of positivity and success where we "build confidence through achievement”. We honor Martial Arts traditions that go back centuries, but we are dynamic and are constantly seeking new and innovative ways to enthuse and excite our students.
- We have classes for Children from 4 years old through until 18. Our classes are designed to excited our young martial artists while challenging them and preparting them for the challenges that lay ahead
- Pacific Coast Academy offers many adult classes at times to suit your schedule. Our adult clasess include Ken Ju Ryu, Kenpo Ju Jitsu - Danzan Ryu JuJitsu - Toyamaru & Eskrima
- We are extremely proud of our lineage which is a pure line from the creator of the Danzan Ryu system to our present day organization. Our chief instructor and head of the Ken Ju Ryu system is Shihanke Russell Rhodes.
- The Pacific Coast Academy of Martial Arts dojo (or school) is a modern, state of the art training facility that is entirely unique and sets the standard for martial arts training in the 21st century.
- Social Media Follow Pacific Coast Acadmey on Facebook and find us on YouTube. On our YouTube channel you will find many video classes by Shihan Russ Rhodes in a multitude of topics that cover Ken Ju Ryu, Danzan Ryu and other martial arts. You will see techniques performed in their orignal and pure forms as well as many blends and variations - check us out, there is something for everyone!
- We always like to welcome visitors to our Dojo. We are conveniently located in Los Gatos, California, close to many of the area's main highways to serve the Bay Area, including Los Gatos, San Jose and the surrounding towns.
Kodenkan Danzan Ryu Ju Jitsu is a system of martial arts that can be likened to other martial arts such as Judo. The art incorporates techniques (usually against an assailant) such as foot sweeps, throws, chokes, joint-locks, and strikes (kicks and punches) to vital points of the body.
Danzan Ryu is a system of martial arts that is derived from a combination of traditional Japanese martial arts systems.
The art is similar in form to traditional Japanese jūjutsu, Judo and other arts that incorporate throws, sweeps chokes and locks (amongst other techniques).
The founder of the Danzan Ryu Ju Jitsu Professor Henry Okazaki spent countless years studying many different arts and systems in his native Japan in order to create a new art that combined the best aspects of these arts to form his new Danzan Ryu Ju Jitsu art.
Professor Okazaki began to formulate this new combination of arts that was to become known as Danzan Ryu Ju Jitsu. He continued his study of the arts under under other Japanese martial arts masters who were living in Hawaii in the first part of the twentieth century.
The term 'Danzan Ryu' is the name Okazaki named his new art after Hawaii, the place he first taught the art. Dan Zan 紫檀山 refers to the Japanese name for Hawaii which translates as 'Sandalwood Mountain'. Danzan-Ryu therefore means Sandalwood Mountain School.
The Kodenkan Danzan Ryu system was founded by Professor Henry Seishiro Okazaki in 1929 on the island of Hawaii. His Kodenkan "School of the Ancient Tradition" was the center of much controversy in the very exclusively Asian martial arts circles of those days, since he insisted on teaching his system to members of all racial groups.
Pacific Coast Academy of Martial Arts offers adult classes in the Danzan Ryu Ju Jitsu system with all training being directed by Shihan Russ Rhodes.
Shihan Rhodes is responsible for all of the material and teaching of Danzan Ryu Ju Jitsu and teaches the art in the original form as taught to him by Professor Kufferath, at the Pacific Coast Academy of Martial Arts.
There is a definite emphasis on the modern application of this traditional martial training we provide at the Pacific Coast Academy. In fact our school's motto is Shinkodenkai - "where old meets new" - this is certainly the case at the academy.
Pacific Coast Academy of Martial Arts is one of the largest Kodenkan Ju Jitsu schools in central California, with sister organizations and students across the entire United States.
Pacific Coast Academy of Martial Arts runs its ever popular Danzan Ryu Ju Jitsu classes twice a week on Thursday evening and Saturday morning.
Traditional Ju Jitsu concentrates on throws, grappling or ground defense and joint manipulations (locks, breaks and chokes). It is known as the art of suppleness, flexibility, and pliancy all coming from the ideogram "Ju." This art is used to subjugate and neutralize your opponent.
Due to the physically demanding nature of Danzan Ryu Ju Jitsu most of the students who train in this art at Pacific Coast Academy, either have previous experience in similar martial arts (such as Judo or similar arts) and have the skills needed to throw and take throws, fall and roll or progress to Danzan Ryu Ju Jitsu by means of attending the Kenpo Ju Jitsu class at Pacific Coast and gain the necessary experience and skills needed under the instruction of Shihan Rhodes.
The green belt in Kenpo Ju Jitsu entitles the student to upgrade to the Advanced Ken Ju Ryu class and / or to join the Danzan Ryu program. Students entering the Danzan Ryu Ju Jitsu class is at the discretion of Shihan Rhodes
Our priority at Pacific Arts Academy for all adult classes is to provide a realistic, safe training environment for all of our students. We understand that our students wish to learn the art and the techniques in a manner that allows them to become accomplished martial artisits but with a degree of safety during their training.
We teach our students how to adequately warm up and stretch before each training session or class, in addition all Danzan Ryu Student are taught to fall on our state of the art mats and roll out of techniques to increase safety during training.
We teach how to execute techniques on others and to receive techniques (in order to protect yourself and allow others to to practice their techniques safely)
Aspects of Danzan Ryu that are taught at Pacific Coast Academy:
- NAGE NO KATA (Throwing Arts)
- YAWARA (Hand / Release Techniques)
- SHIME NO KATA (Constricting Arts
- OKU NO KATA (Combination Arts)
As students gain in confidence and skills become more advanced, other techniques are incorporated into the art of falling to allow progression in the arts. As students gain further experience, different aspects are combined and techniques become more and more advanced. Students are typically advanced on to black belt status within five years of beginning the art depending on the individuals skill and commitment to the art.
If you are interested in Pacific Coast Academy's Danzan Ryu Ju Jitsu program contact us to arrange an introduction to the art.